Food & Nutrition Services (FNS, formerly Food Stamps):
The purpose of Food and Nutrition Services is to end hunger and improve nutrition and health by helping eligible low-income households buy the food they need for a nutritionally adequate diet. Food and Nutrition Services provides the following services:
- Assess whether individuals and households are eligible to receive food assistance.
- Periodically reassess the eligibility of individuals and households.
- Provide every applicant and participating household an opportunity for a fair hearing in accordance with policy.
An online screening tool called ePass will help individuals identify if they are potentially eligible for benefits. ePass provides a list of documents that the individual will need to bring to Social Services.
The online screening tool can be found at https://epass.nc.gov
An application for Food and Nutrition Servicescan be downloaded via online at
To learn more about Food and Nutrition Services please visit the North Carolina Department of health and human services website at http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dss/foodstamp/index.htm
New videos help grocery shoppers buy healthier foods at http://www.MyEatSmartMoveMore.com
The video is accompanied by a tip sheet that provides specific tips for each aisle in the grocery store.
To learn more about eating healthy on a budget go to http://www.choosemyplate.gov
Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP):
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program provides a one-time annual vendor payment to help eligible families pay their heating expenses. Energy payments will be made directly to the service provider, such as power, gas or oil companies during the month of application.
- All households are required to meet income eligibility guidelines of 130% of the current poverty level.
- Applications for households containing only people age 60 and older, or disabled and receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS) will be taken from December 1 through March 31, or until funds are exhausted.
- Applications for all other households will be taken from February 1 through March 31, or until funds are exhausted.
Joan Harlow, FNS Supervisor
350 Ruin Creek Road
Henderson, NC 27536