Report a Roadway Problem to NCDOT
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) maintains the majority of public roads in the State. The state maintained road system in North Carolina includes over 79,000 miles of roadway. NCDOT conducts all planning, design and construction of roadways in Vance County. The County does not currently maintain any roads for public purpose. NCDOT coordinates much of its transportation planning efforts for the County through the Kerr-Tar Regional Planning Organization. Vance County is part of this RPO which includes Franklin, Granville, Person, Vance and Warren Counties and their municipalities.
Beyond the RPO process, Vance County also works directly with NCDOT. County staff works with NCDOT district and local county engineers on projects within the County by providing feedback and keeping track of project progress. Vance County has an appointed Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) which is comprised mostly of local government elected officials who meet regularly to:
- Discuss local transportation issues;
- Receive updates from the NCDOT district engineer regarding progress on projects (Transportation Improvements Projects (TIP) and secondary road projects); and
- Take input from the public regarding its concerns and issues related to transportation.
- Comprehensive Transportation Plan. For the City of Henderson and Vance County, serves as a vision for the future transportation system (adopted locally August 6, 2012).
- STIP. NCDOT’s State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) is a federally mandated transportation planning document that details transportation improvements planned for the next seven years. NCDOT organizes the STIP by highway divisions. Individual projects within Vance County are listed under Division 5 within the link above.
- NC Lakes District Regional Bike Plan. The NC Lakes District Regional Bike Plan proposes a vision for a system of interconnected bicycle routes creating a means for bicycling in the Lakes District region. The plan is envisioned to guide the development of the regional bike system around the region’s myriad of lakes, linking counties, towns, local parks, and other significant features.
- Traffic Counts Map. The annual average daily traffic (AADT) is the total volume of vehicle traffic on a highway or road for a year, divided by 365 days. This interactive mapping tool presents historical annual average daily traffic volume since 2002.
|Incoming Traffic Map
||Outgoing Traffic Map
Contacting the NCDOT (NC Department of Transportation)
NCDOT Headquarters are located at 1 South Wilmington Street in Raleigh, NC. NCDOT Customer Service Office answers the toll-free customer service line, 1-877-DOT-4YOU, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, with extended hours as necessary for emergencies. NCDOT also has 14 regional offices. The local/regional office contacts for NCDOT in Vance County are:
Scott Wheeler, District Engineer
321 Gillburg Road
Henderson, NC 27537
Frank Carpenter, County Maintenance Engineer
465 Gillburg Road
Henderson, NC 27537
Contacting the NCDMV (NC Department of Motor Vehicles)
For answers to questions about DMV issues such as driver license renewal or vehicle registration, call (252) 438-8930.