Hurricane Florence: Important Information from Granville-Vance Public Health


Hurricane Florence will make landfall later this week, bringing potential flooding and power outages across the region. Our top priority is the health and safety of you and your families.  We seek to provide information and resources available to you before, during, and after the storm. We are asking for your assistance in spreading this information.

Look out for NC Emergency Management’s latest updates at

Tips for patients and families:

  1. Follow mandatory evacuation orders and evacuation routes. This will be a dangerous storm. Do not ride it out.
  2. Never drive through standing water—turn around, don’t drown!
  3. Don’t use gas-powered generators/burners inside your house.
  4. Stock up and have ready emergency kits, take care of pets, check in with neighbors.
  5. Make sure you have your medicines and fill your prescriptions before the storm hits.  Many insurers are allowing early refills to make it easier.
  6. People that rely on electricity-dependent medical devices should notify their local Department of Social Services as soon as possible. This will help authorities prioritize services during a power outage.

Granville County DSS

410 West Spring Street
Oxford, NC 27565
Tel. #919-693-1511
Fax #919-603-5090

Vance County DSS
350 Ruin Creek Road
Henderson, NC 27536
Tel. #252-492-5001
Fax #252-438-5997

Important information for people in the Medicaid program: 

  1. Medicaid will cover a physician/clinician visit for beneficiaries who are evacuated, including those evacuated out-of-state.
  2. Medicaid will cover early prescription refills by a Medicaid pharmacist. Beneficiaries are encouraged to refill their prescriptions before the storm.


Important information for people in the Food and Nutrition Service program:

  1. Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards can be used at any authorized retailer, even if they are in a different state.
  2. Current Food and Nutrition Services households (people receiving SNAP benefits) that have a food loss may request replacement benefits through their county DSS.
  3. Lost/Damaged EBT cards can be replaced by calling the EBT Call Center at 1-888-622-7328.

Other Resources:

  1. Call 211 for non-emergency needs
  2. Download the ReadyNC app to a smartphone – provides details on how to prepare an emergency kit, where shelters are open, and other essential information. ReadyNC also may be accessed at


Comments are closed.

Events Calendar